I needed to create a new website with Drupal. I have existing basic hosting with drupal set up on the main site. To extend it to add another website, I did the following:
- register a new domain and point it to the existing site
- Create a new mysql database for the new site
- Create a website@ or info@ email for the site and set it to forward to my address
- Create a new directory in the sites directory for newdomain.com (replace that with the actual name, of course)
- copy in the default.settings.php into settings.php
- go to the new domain in the browser (when it becomes available, which was, unexpectedly, within minutes using opendns) and fill in the database and admin user info to set up. [Note: I always create a separate admin user with a unique name for each site--like site123admin--with a keypass generated password to help avoid dictionary attacks]
- set up modules, security, etc.
- Pick a theme, make a logo and favicon
For someone who remembers hand coding HTML using notepad back in the early nineties, being able to make a completely modern and professional website this easily is amazing. Of course I also think that automatically flushing toilets are amazing, so you can choose to weigh my amazement accordingly.